If you are interested in possibly installing a standby generator for your home, be conscious that every installation is unique and professional assistance will be necessary. Be sure your generator is connected correctly to avoid electrical and fire hazards. Electricity supplied by a generator has the same hazards as your regular utility-supplied electricity. You may face further risks if your generator bypasses safety devices, such as circuit breakers, that are built into your electrical systems. Adpower recommends contacting an electrical contractor or the generator manufacturer for the proper installation of your generator.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for properly grounding your generator to help shun electrical shock.
- Be sure your hands are dry and that you are not standing in water before touching the generator.
- Never plug your generator into a wall outlet.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator using manufacturer-specified cords or three-pronged extension cords with the proper amperage rating for the intended use.
- Be aware that portable generators become hot while running and remain hot for a significant amount of time after they are shut down, creating a potential fire hazard.
Many schools have policies in place in case of a power outage. Most schools have backup generators that may provide power in case of a power outage. Generally, larger facilities have emergency generators for critical building support systems such as emergency lighting, elevators, fire sprinkler pumps, and fire-life safety systems. These generators start automatically within moments of a power loss and assume the emergency loads.
Power grid reliability can be a concern in many countries, particularly in developing countries where the reliably is often below the needs of many applications. The installation of a diesel generator is a common solution for customers requiring highly reliable power for automation and telecom applications. Even in developed countries with a reliable grid infrastructure, the capital cost and service charges associated with running grid lines to a remote location can be prohibitive. In such cases, the installation for a generator to meet local power requirements is often a more cost effective solution. Adpower diesel generators have a good design life and need minimal maintenance over the life of the system.